The idea of holding concerts in the Courtyard of the Royal Palace dates from 1959. It echoes an age-old tradition of the Grimaldi family, protectors of the arts in general and music in particular.
As pointed out in an article in the newspaper "Aux Ecoutes" dated 14 August 1959: "Rainier is relaunching and revamping a tradition: in the 18th century and up until the return from the Island of Elba, the Princes of Monaco "gave music" to their good people in the Palace Courtyard. Resuming this tradition, Prince Rainier III has had the gates to the Palace Courtyard opened".
The summer concerts have enhanced the reputation of the Monte-Carlo National Orchestra: critics rate it among the leading symphonic formations in Europe.
Today, the Monte-Carlo National Orchestra is embarking on a new career. Thanks to the liberal and intelligent artistic magnanimity of the highest Monegasque instances, it has at its disposal the resources required by a big and dynamic symphonic formation. It is invited to international festivals in Aix-en-Provence, Orange and Menton, and past and future recordings will carry its name far and wide.